How to Connect Wireless Printer to Laptop?
The WPS Connection Method
* Conditions for WPS Connection Method
Ensure the following, before starting the procedure to connect your laptop, to your printer.
- The access point that you opt for must have an actual WPS push button available. For this, you can also check the User manual that comes with your device to verify the location and availability of the WPS button. In case, the WPS push button is not available, you have the option to opt for the Standard Connection Method that is mentioned below.
- The network that you choose must have the WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) or WPA2 security protocol. Most likely use the WPS enabled access points to use this method.
* Procedure for WPS Connection Method
- In order to connect your printer to your Laptop wirelessly, you can opt for this method. Your printer device needs to have a WPS availability just like the access point.
- To start with this, you have to make sure that the printer is turned on.
- On your Printer device, press the Wi-Fi button that is on the top of the printer. You have to hold on this button until the alarm lamp flashes once.
- Now, you have to check that the lamp next to this button starts to flash blue.
- After this go to your access point and press the WPS button within 2 minutes time gap.
- The blue Wi-Fi lamp on the printer will continue ﬂashing while the process of search is on. However, the power and Wi-Fi lamp will flash when connecting to the access point. Allow some time for this process to complete successfully.
- Consequently, when the printer has successfully made a connection to your wireless network, the power and Wi-Fi lamp will stop flashing and remain lit. This Blue light will always indicate the connection status of your printer device.
The Standard Connection Method
* Download the driver software
- This is an alternative way to connect your device to your Laptop when your device does not have a “WPS button”.
- The first step in this process is to ensure that your printer is turned on. For this, check if the green light on your device is turned on.
- Now go to your laptop and launch a web browser of your choice.
- Type “canon.com/ijsetup” and press enter.
- You will now be taken to the home page of the website. On the home page, you will see tabs for various procedures. You have to click on the “Set Up” icon.
- When you click on it you are taken to a new window. Here you have to enter your model number. You can either type your model number manually or you can use the click select option that is available in the lower panel on the same page.
- Once you enter the model number and click enter, the setup instructions for your particular model will pop-up. After reading them you will get the link to download the driver software.
- Click on it and the file will start downloading. You can check the progress of this download in the Footer bar on the browser window.
Setting-up the driver software
- Once the downloading of the software is finished, you have to Double click on it.
- The “User Control Wizard” will appear now on your screen. Click the “Run” button here to allow the software to run on your system.
- You now have the “Welcome Window” of the driver software. Click “Next”.
- You now have to follow a step by step setup guide for your setup guide. You now have to follow this guide the same way you followed the guide at ij.start.cannon.
- A screen will be displayed on your computer asking you to select between a USB or wireless connection, please select “Wireless Connection”.
- In the next window that appears on your screen, click the “Connect to Network” icon.
- In the next screen, asks you to opt for the connection method that you want to opt for. This method generally, uses Wired or wireless. Here, you have to click the “Cabless Setup” icon.
- When the “Connection via Cableless setup” screen appears you have to hold down the printer’s Wi-Fi button. Do this until the orange alarm lamp flashes 2 times, release the button immediately after the second flash.
- Confirm that the Blue color Wi-Fi lamp flashes quickly and Click the “Next” button. In this process, your network connection gets “Disable” temporarily. Wait for some time to allow your printer device to connect.
- The next window on your Device now prompts you to enter your geographical region. After selecting, click “Next”.
- Consequently, on the next screen, you have to select your place of residence and then click on “Next”.
- The next screen appearing is the “Software Installation List”. Here, you need to select the software you wish to install. If you have any confusion about which software you want to install at this stage, install all available, you can always uninstall the one you don’t need. After selecting the software, click “Next”.
- With this, you are now directed to the “License Agreement Document”. Go through this document carefully, later, click “Yes”, if you agree with all the terms.
- Consequently, an “Allow Install Wizard Process” window appears on your screen. Again, click the “ Next” button.
- The window that follows, indicates the model of your printer and the name (or SSID) of your wireless network. Here click “Complete”
- Eventually, now you will see that your Blue color lamp stops blinking and by this, your Setup is Complete for users that have Windows as their Operating System.
If you are using an Apple laptop that has Mac as the operating system, you need to follow a few more steps.
- Now the window that comes next, prompts you to add your printer to connect it to your Mac device. Click on the “Add Printer” to proceed further.
- Consequently, on the next screen, you will see the available printer devices. From this list, select the model number of your printer device. The same one that you entered in ij.start.cannon to start the whole process. Then, click the “Add” button.
- To complete the process, now click “Next”.
- With this, the Setup for completes for laptops having Mac as Operating System.